Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Iowa Culture


We were asked to describe our culture and for me it honestly is not as easy as you would think. I do not come from somewhere far away or even, somewhere out of the state of Iowa. I grew up in a suburb of Des Moines called Johnston. Johnston is a nice, urban, expanding community. I went to a big 4A high-school in Johnston and I feel like that prepared me nicely enough for the University of Iowa. When most people not from here think of Iowa or Iowans, they think of the heart of the Midwest. That especially comes along with farming, kindness, and boredom. But something they wouldn’t suspect is that I really had nothing to do with farming or boredom growing up here. As I mentioned earlier, Johnston is an urban community right near Des Moines. It is not some dead, rural, extremely small town. Because of this I did not spend time or have anything really to do with farming. Sure, I am surrounded by it living in Iowa, but it did not directly pertain to my life or the lives of those around me. The next thing to address is the fact that Iowa is not known to have any sort of entertainment, which is also false.
Living near Des Moines you were able to experience many things that went on downtown and in the surrounding areas. For example, I’ve participated in road races like the Des Moines Marathon, Dam to Dam, etc. (running is one of my favorite things to do). I’ve been able to attend athletic events: Iowa Cubs, the NCAA Sweet 16 games in Des Moines this last spring, and more. I’ve attended concerts at Wells Fargo Arena. And not just small concerts. Big time one’s like Drake this past October (no, we do not all listen to country music). Honestly, I could go on longer with all of the other amazing restaurants (from Italian to Mexican and much more), attractions, events, and other things that Des Moines has.
Don’t get me wrong I have been to the Los Angeles’s, the Orlando’s, Washington D.C.’s, New York City’s of the world and Des Moines is not in that category with them. It does not compete with those cities as far as thing to do, but for Iowa, it does very well. It shows that when people say there’s nothing to do here, they’re wrong. At this point I probably sound like a person trying to convince a family to move to Des Moines. But I feel like as you describe your culture, it’s needed to talk about things like this. Things that show others who have heard about a certain area, a new perspective. Things that describe an area that you lived in and came from. Things you do for entertainment. The music, the sporting events, the food and its wide variety, and other events and hobbies. This is part of my culture that I described. Part of my culture that people did not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment