Monday, November 7, 2016

The Borderless Culture of Truth




When people ask me about my culture, I am not sure what I am supposed to tell them. It is not that I am not aware of the culture of the country where I was born. It is the fact that I do not really identify myself as one of them. In another word, I hardly find any common tradition being an essential part of me.

You see, I was born in China and spent about 18 years of my early life there. But I have also been in the United States for more than 7 years now. Eventually, I figured that it is not our nationality that defines who we are, but our personal daily rituals of life. Indeed, countries come and go, but the people will always move on. Ultimately, a person’s culture is defined by his/her own pursuit in life and that pursuit only.

Image result for albert einstein

What do I seek in my life? I seek freedom by seeking the truth. Inevitably, this belief pushes me deeper in the scientific fields. What is a viable plan for Space X to send people to Mars? What form of plastic gels could be most efficient to trap heat? Is it possible to use block-chain to generate unique online identities so general elections can be participated by all citizens with just one click? Attempting to participate in these questions are my daily rituals with my friends. To us, life is a myth, and only by studying the laws of our universe, can we liberate our mind from the fear of being ignorant. 

Image result for julian assange statueYou can also find me having heated political arguments with my friends often. In this post-fact political era, arguments often bring great clarity about sensitive issues. Too often, the truth is well-guarded by misdirecting propaganda. Peeling through convenient main stream media cover-ups has became our second nature. As you can imagine, being seekers of the truth, we value the valor of standing up against government oppression greatly. As much as we love to discuss endlessly about scientific discoveries, we also see it equally important to function as defenders of the truth and thus also, defenders of those who speak for the truth. Chelsea Manning, Edward Snowden and Julian Assange, we view them as heroes.  It is not always easy to stand up to side with those controversial figures in life, but the moment you choose to do so, all the fear will go away and you will find your soul being as light as a feather. 

So what is my personal culture really about? Curiosity and Courage. That is my connecting node to the world. Regardless which country we are from, as long as we share the same core of utmost respect of truth, we will find our common grounds.

Hail, to the bravery of the men and women who seek the truth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment