Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Group Post - A Night at the Opera


On the night of November 11th, our group Liang, Martell, Michael, White, and Allison attended the opera gala, "A Celebration of Opera" at the Voxman Music Building. Why we chose this event, was because it was culturally relevant with the singing the opera contained. Singing, a song, a melody, is now known as a kind of language the whole world can understand, and we thought that this could be considered as a culture. Our members shared each of their experience at the opera in the paragraphs below.


< Liang >

Music can bring people a feeling of comfort. Last Friday night, I went to the university concert place. Because there was an opera conducted by students and some of the musicians who comes from outside. At first, I had a hard time finding the building. If I had forgot my Google maps, I wouldn’t have get there on time.


I was a person used to be outgoing, also means I am kind of noisy sometimes. But at the time I step in the music hall, I became quiet. The place was filled by people, but still remain silent. I found some of my classmate also set in the hall as group, so I went to sit next to them. Right after the brief introduce of singer and pianist by the host. The musical show began with a short graceful piece of piano movement.
            The first show is “libiamo ne' lieti calici”, a part of the famous opera “La dame aux camélias” an opera which described the great and lowliness love of a social beauty,”the lady of the camellias”. Her love was pure, her life was miserable, but at that part of “libiamo ne' lieti calici” shows a happy atmosphere with dozens of young and pretty dressed men and women. They drink wine, they talk about everything they want to. Those actors and actress reappear that moment by using their acting and brilliant singing skills. At the end of the first show, actors gain a lots of applauds which they should gain.
            About the second show. “de miei bollenti spiriti” is also a part of “the lady of the camellias”. It shows a man and a woman is arguing about somethings. Seems they finally get a comprehension after that argument. After seeing this, I am confused about the story itself. The show was so impressive that I cannot even wait to figure out after the whole opera. Done reading some kind of source in the internet. I finally get the whole story. It is about the man love that social beauty and convince her to move out of Paris, far away from the noisy and fancy atmosphere. To live with him down the countryside.
After these two, I have nearly no knowledge about this language. I just watching the actors and listen to them sing those portrayal words. I cannot say I am completely follow the whole opera, but I am still trying to get the point of every movement, every words and expressions. Although I cannot understand French, I can still catch up with the whole story. The tragedy of that girl who loved the right person in wrong time. This happiness of her will bring so much sadness in the end. The “libiamo ne' lieti calici” story end in the 3rd one.
 After the act one. I had some privacy staff to do so I left the opera concert. That makes me curious about what goes on then. Operas is a kind of traditional art. As an international student, I do think I need more knowledge of those stuff.


            < Martell >

Oh the opera! A highly esteemed event among the wealthy, and a tooth pulling experience among the youth. My group members and I attended the Opera Gala at the brand new Voxman music building. Considering the fact that I’d never been to one, the only knowledge I had about operas came from TV. You know the old clichés; old stuffy white people, gussied up in old suits and dresses, with their fancy binoculars and long cigarettes. However, upon entering the auditorium I was shocked by a room with an extremely diverse demographic. Everyone was in attendance from Asian children as young as 5 to the oldest Latino couple sitting in the balcony. The show began with a man explaining the plot of the show which was about a man who asked a woman to marry him, and for some reason the engagement was called off, my memory is a little foggy.
This particular opera was performed in what I recognized to be Italian, so I had no idea what was being said. Operas aren’t my cup of tea, but as an artist myself I have to say that the performance was visually and acoustically stunning. The auditorium gave off a very clean sound, as the presenter announced the pianist for the night, she walked across the stage, and in the farthest back row I could hear each foot as it landed on the hardwood floor of the stage. However, the steps were clean and lacked the dirty echo that you’d hear in a gymnasium. Visually I have only one word to describe the show; Graceful. The dancers moved so elegantly across the stage in a tango with the rhythm of the singer’s voice. Even as the singer’s voice reached violent tones the visual aspect kept the audience from feeling too anxious. Operas aren’t my thing but I would highly recommend them to someone who’s a fan of the romantic languages, or classical music. 


 < Michael >

Last Friday, I went to watch an opera in the music building, it is called “A Celebration of Opera”, actually it does have lots of operas, and contain different kinds of operas, but I have to say I cannot understand any word of them.
Although I could not understand the meaning of their dialogue as they were speaking Italian, I can still get lot of information from the atmosphere and some background information of their performance. The most attracting one of the show is the one named Habanera. I was so impressive to it because I think I could feel the enthusiasm and the energy of the actress. Although I cannot understand what was she talking about, I think it talks about something that she is chasing, as I can feel the passion of the actress from her voice and expression. I guess it is talking about love because there were lots of men went to her at the beginning of the opera. And as the performance continue, the tune of the song is getting higher, and those man was forced to leave maybe, and I could feel the passion of the actress from here, so I guess it is a story of love.


After I went home, I went to search for some information of this opera, and now I know it is an opera from the opera Carmen, which is one of the most famous operas in the world. It was written in the 19th century, and Habanera is part of the first scene of this opera. I briefly read the first scene of this opera, it talks about the how the Carmen sing with others, and a soldier fall in love with her. It has some difference with what I thought before, but it is an opera about love. And now I think it is very interesting after I have read the story which I can understand. I have read several operas before, such as Romeo and Juliet. But this is my first time to watch a live opera. I may not go to see another one again as I really cannot understand Italian, but I can still enjoy the melody of the music. So this may not be a perfect experience of enjoying a show but I can still learn something, and I may read the whole story of Carmen if I have time later.


 < White >

        Last Friday, I went to listen to a concert which located at the Voxman Music Building. The concert show was to start at about 8 pm. My partner and I arrived there half an hour earlier, and there were so many people who showed up to watch the opera, including many old people who took about sixty to seventy percent of all the audience.


        Actually, it is the first time I went to concert show. In my hometown the concert is not very popular and I rarely heard about it. There is a man who named Bill Theisen, he stand in front of the stage-- he is tall and acted very gentle, for the beginning of the show, he gives a small speech and thanked for the all people come and the supporters who donated money to the music college in UIowa for its development. Then a lady name Minji Kwon come to the stage and sat in front of the piano, she has an amazing skill of playing piano. There are so many actors in the first program of the show include the most actors during the whole show but the main singers are one men name Ensemble and one women named Aurora DePaul who all has a clear voice and exquisite action skill. Men are all dress suit and women are all dress maxi skit, it looks very formal and comfortable.
​            Actually, at the first my feeling is pretty amazing and a little bit shocked, the stage is big and people are dazzling, they focus on their show and the songs are very beautiful and pleasant to hear. It is a really amazing experience for me and thanks for the wonderful show which present by the excellent actors, I highly appreciate coming here to enjoy the show and looking forward to come again.


            < Allison >

On the day of the opera gala, I was looking forward to seeing it and was filled with excitement. It was my first time to attend an opera in person, especially for a school project and with my team members. My memories of an opera were always from the screen, from the famous ‘The Phantom of the Opera’, to short clips of operas I did not know. Every time I watched it, it would be a mystery to me of how those people could sing so beautifully for such a long period. However, it always stopped at being a mystery, and ventured no more. But thanks to this opportunity, I had gotten the chance to see up close on those who sang in an opera and observe them.
Due to my long nap I had thankfully just missed only the first performance, so when I tried to enter the concert hall in the Voxman Music Building I was led to the balcony’s back seats on the third floor. The view was enough to see the singer’s face, their expressions, and actions, as the concert hall was still small compared to huge ones where you could only see a silhouette of the singers. There were 12 performances in total, and in each of them there would be different people singing. In some there were only one man or a woman, some had a duet, and few had almost over 10 women and men singing altogether. This, in my opinion, gave great influence to the story which was inside of the lyrics they were singing. Another thing I noticed was of their actions and face expressions. I had always thought that in the opera people would mostly stand still while singing, maybe walk a few paces but nothing more. But in this one, there were far more than I thought. A couple would sing happily while dancing with each other and look at each other so lovingly, a man would show the rage he had contained for such a long time through his face and actions, or you could see the saddest expression on the face of a woman as she sang and drooped down on the floor. Even though I did not know Italian, their expressions and actions were enough for me to understand.


There was a performance which had caught my eye while watching the opera. It was called “Klinget Glöckchen (Aria of Papageno)…Pa-pa-pa”, with the music ‘Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute)’ by Mozart. This was the performance with the happy couple, and their names were Papageno and Papagena. I had no idea what they were saying, but as they sang they looked so happy together, as if the whole world was in their hands just by being at each other’s side. After the opera, I looked up about this one and found out that they were indeed happy. The surprising thing was that when looking at the whole opera, they were not the main characters of it. Papageno was helping the Tamina to find his love, Pamina, and on the way he meets with his love, Papagena. However, an obstacle comes along, with Papageno not being able to see Papagena because he is not worthy of her. When he tried to commit suicide because of this, three child-spirits appear and tell him to ring his magic bells. There Papagena was summoned, and together they sing a song of their bright future together with many children they were to have. This is the song that was sang at the opera.
This experience of watching the opera was really new and great for me. It let me observe the performances much closer, something I would not have dreamed of if at a bigger opera. It showed me the details and delicacy of an opera, and also that singing can really break glass cups. Even now I am considering to see more of these in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment