Wednesday, November 16, 2016

culture shock

    As we know, culture shock is a word that we used to describe something surprised, like the feelings or something. Also, culture shock always happened in different countries. If the people are confused in something different with their country, that means culture shock. Maybe in the daily life (like your own experiences or something happened in the movie), you will find something different between your country and China. Now, I am going to explain some examples to show some culture differences. 
            For the first thing, Chinese and American has the different cognition of raising offspring. In America, if the people after 18 years, their parents do not have the custody for their children. Most of the children are financially independent, no longer they ask their parents for money or other something. Even if the people lack of money, they need to borrow the money from their parents. For the first time I came to America, and I was very surprised that why my classmates (the native speaker) need to work for the tuition. Later I know they need to make a living by themselves. For China, the parents not only need to feed their children until they are old, but also help to support their children’s children. Because of different awareness about raising the children, Americans think that they have already done the obligations if their children are older than 20-year-old. For Chinese, they think there are my offspring, so I am willing to give all of my life for the children. I am going to tell you an example about Chinese people. My uncle has a son, my uncle has a furniture store, so it is prosperous, his son became a boomerang kids, although his son is 40-year-old now, he asks for money from his father to have lunch or buy something. My uncle think it is OK, because my brother is his offspring, so no matter his son asks him for money, all his money is given to his son. 
            For the second difference, it is about the consumption of hospital. There are two ways to explain that. On the one hand, if you want to go to the hospital to see the doctor in China, you can go directly, you do not need make any appointment.  In the United States, you need to make the appointment, and see the doctor on that day. Since I came to the United States, there always a question confused me, if I have a favor, and I make the appointment with the doctor and we decided meet each other ten days later, is that my favor need to keep ten days long?  On the other hand, the price in America hospital is too high. At the beginning I went to America, I had the student insurance, I thought the department of dentistry are also belonging to the insurance. I went to the department and the doctor pulled out my tooth. Before I went out, I checked and the people told me the price is thousands of dollars. If the same thing happened in China, I do not make the appointment and the price of putting out a tooth is 20-30 dollars.

            I think culture shock is happened everywhere. We need to adapt culture shock, and also, respect!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment