Monday, November 7, 2016

What You Didn't Know About Mexico

When I was told to write something about my culture that people didn't already know I was puzzled. I thought back to times where I visited Mexico. What is something that people don't know? I kept asking myself the same question. Until it hit me. When people think about Mexican culture they usually think about food, tequila or perhaps a nice vacation spot. What people don't really know is that Mexico has a traditional dance that dates back to a centuries ago! The traditional Mexican dance expresses the Mexican culture in a variety of ways. It expresses culture in it's colors, themes, rhythm and music.


History

This dance has a mixture of Indigenous, European and African influences. It's roots can be traced back to the Mayan and Aztec period. The most famous traditional Mexican dance is called Jarabe Tapatio which is translated into the Mexican Hat Dance. In fact it was adopted as Mexico's national dance in 1942. It was named the national dance of Mexico because this dance makes an effort to incorporate several cultures into one national identity. 



Dance

I have seen this dance a couple times in my life. It is so amazing to watch. This dance includes a male and a female. The male is dressed charro style. If you can imagine a mariachi band member that is what he looks like. The woman is dressed in a long colorful dress. The dress is twirled by the woman while the couple dances around his sombrero that he places on the ground. This is just one type of traditional Mexican dance, there are many more. They all vary across the 32 Mexican states. The dances have a theme and the history of the music influences on the type of clothing they wear. For example the people that come from the ranching heritage wear cowboy hats instead of sombreros. 


Performance

This style of dance is performed for many occasions. It is performed for religious events, agriculture celebrations, and even coming of age parties. It is performed in couples but multiple couples dance at one time. I remember watching this dance and thinking about how beautiful everything was. The dresses flowed so graciously and the colors were so vibrant. Most performances tell a story. In the Mexican hat dance the man tries to seduce the woman during the dance. In the beginning both dancers flirt and the dance ends with the woman finally accepting the man. For the audience there is a special touch to the end of the dance. The two dancers kiss behind the man's hat. This dance is performed by children also which makes it even more fun to watch! 


I hope that I have enriched your knowledge about the Mexican culture. I have learned many new things myself. I did not know there was even a national dance for Mexico. I have also learned that this dance is not just a dance, it is also a story. In every state in Mexico traditional dances are danced differently in ways that incorporate what that state is like. Mexico has a rich culture and traditional dances express my culture in more ways than just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment